Monday, September 29, 2014

Why I Love My Bamboo Toothbrush


Until very recently I was the proud owner of a very big, clunky and noisy electric toothbrush.  There wasn't much about it that I loved except for the vibrating rotating bristles.  I think it was supposed to clean my teeth better or something - at least that's what I believed (vibration equals better clean, DUH!)  But more times than not I would drop the thing and break it - what a pain in the tooth that was replacing - hello, electric toothbrushes aren't cheap.  And then whenever I needed to travel, carrying this bulky thing around became yet another pain.  One time it even went off in my carry-on bag, whirling and vibrating all on it's own. Let's just say I got plenty of weird looks that day, "It's just my toothbrush people, it's not what you think." 

Recently though, after my last hygienic appointment, my dentist handed me a bamboo toothbrush and tells me about the perks of using bamboo over plastic brands.  I gave it a shot for 2 weeks, which is what I told him I would do, and I have to say - Wow! I'm really into it.  It's easy to operate due to it's size, weight and design, the bristles are soft, and it cleans just as well as other brushes and here's the most important factor: it's better for your health and the environment.

Did you know that over 2 billion plastic toothbrushes end up in our oceans and landfills every year?  Sure, a toothbrush is a small thing but it's non-biodegradable so it just sits in our landfill for 1,000 years or so without degrading.  Chemicals leach out from those toxic toothbrushes and make their way into our soil and water, harming our precious environment and us.  I don't want to take part in that and I certainly don't want to be using BPA toothbrushes on my teeth everyday.

I want to make a change....


This really sleek bamboo toothbrush however, is different.  It's stylish, cool, innovative and BPA-free.  It's naturally anti-microbial, durable, biodegradable and safe to use.  Because the handle is made from bamboo, which again -is anti-microbial, you never have to worry about bathroom bacteria infesting your toothbrush- it's resistant to it.  Tell me that doesn't make you smile?

Bamboo is a fast growing grass and a very eco-friendly timber that actually regenerates itself, after 2-3 months of use you can throw the handle (not the bristles) into your compost heap and it will completely break down in a matter of a months or bury it in your backyard.  You're doing your health and your environment a world of good.  


Storing this brush is easy too.  Since bamboo is a natural material, it keeps best when it's kept in a dry open area.  Never put it inside enclosed cups where water collects, just place it out in the open where it can air out and dry on its own.

Ever since I started brushing with my new bamboo toothbrush I don't even miss my little noise maker anymore.  I use a natural fluoride-free toothpaste, which is also recommended, and my mouth feels cleaner, teeth look whiter and I know I'm doing something great for my health and our planet.  :)

Stay Beautiful
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your love....