Sunday, June 15, 2014

Vegan Blueberry Banana Bread


What is it about banana bread that can put me in just the right kind of mood?  On a leisurely Sunday afternoon like this, the only thing that can put a pep in my step is the smell of fresh baked goodies coming from my kitchen.  I looked over at my bananas sitting there on my counter all ripe and full of spottiness so I thought, "Why not put my apron on and start going banana happy?"  

I really enjoy eating a raw food diet, but on occasion I do like vegan recipes and banana bread has always been a favorite of mine.  What makes this bread so special is that it has no white table sugar and still has just the right amount of sweetness to make it taste out of this world delish.  Who says you need sugar when you can substitute with a healthier alternative?  However, my little sister loves this bread with date sugar, so for her, I do make it this way but I prefer raw honey. 

Recipe:

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
1/4 cup raw honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup cinnamon flavored applesauce
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
 2 over-ripe bananas
1 cup fresh blueberries



Directions:

Preheat over to 325 degrees.

Spray and a large loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

First things first, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, and Himalayan sea salt in a large bowl and then set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine together all the wet ingredients (raw honey, coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla extract) except the bananas.

Combine wet with dry ingredients. Mix together really, really well then slowly work in the bananas. Blend just until combined then fold in the blueberries.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour. After an hour do the toothpick test to check that it's done. If toothpick comes out wet, bake for additional 15 minutes until done.

Bread comes out so moist, soft and crumbly, yet with a sweetness that's so nature and not too sugary, the appropriate breakfast food or dessert treat.  Enjoy!

This is how I enjoy my Sunday's, how do you enjoy yours?

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your love....