I've tasted my share of store bought almond milk before from a variety of different brands and I have to say, my favorite has always been the homemade version. I can tailor it to taste the way I want and it's so much healthier than the ones sitting on grocery shelves for weeks and weeks at a time. Last night after work, I was craving some almond milk so I made my own with this one recipe that I have used over and over again. The purity in flavor can't be beat, it's so delicious and so nutritious that store-bought brands just can't compare to it.
Almond Milk Ingredients:
- 1 cup raw organic almonds soaked overnight
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 4 cups filtered water (no tap, yuck)
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- raw honey (optional)
Reasons to soak nuts and even seeds......
- To remove phytic acid
- To neutralize enzyme inhibitors
- To encourage the production of beneficial enzymes
- To increase the amount of vitamins
- To breakdown gluten and make it easier to digest
- To help neutralize toxins in the colon and keep the colon clean and healthy and working efficiently
- To prevent mineral deficiencies that are robbed when nuts and seeds are not properly soaked.
- Soak your raw almonds overnight in filtered water with 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt.
- In the morning rinse your almonds well and transfer to Vitamix blender with a little more filtered water to mix.
- Blend for several minutes until it's smooth and creamy.
- Strain the mixture into a large bowl through a sprout bag or kitchen towel.
- Put mixture back into blender with vanilla bean, raw honey, or other sweetener that you prefer.
- Pour into glass jar or pitcher and store in fridge for up to one week.
Voila....you're all done and now you can enjoy your homemade and delicious almond milk...Yummo!