I adore the way a bowl of stacked lemons decorates a table setting or how a few lemon slices layered alongside a dish, brightens it up like a ray of sunshine. I never drink a glass of water without a piece of lemon floating closely near the top or eat a hearty dish of tabbouleh without a squeeze of lemon juice & lemon zest for that added tangy flavor. Lemons are the all-rounder, versatile in use and flourishing in health-generating benefits.
Maybe you're a little lemon shy, never been a fan or don't use it often enough. But after this impressive display of lemony benefits, you may just change your mind. Here's why this yellow bomb-shell is so cool...
- Lemons detoxify the liver - First thing in the morning and right before bed, add a slice of lemon to a mug full of hot water and slowly enjoy the effects. Lemons stimulate the liver to release bile and they also detoxify your liver from uric acid buildup ( if you're a heavy meat-eater, you've got uric acid buildup).
- Lemons are a natural source of vitamin C - Whenever you're feeling 'under the weather', try some lemons to cure the common cold or the more serious flu.
- Lemons clean the colon - Drink that cup of lemony water and your colon will be singing your praises, as your peristalsis muscles increase, your bowels will start to work at removing waste and keep you more regular. Colon cancer is a serious ordeal, keep your colon free of unwanted guests, by cleaning it out lemon-style.
- Lemons are alkalizing - An overly acidic internal environment is a breeding ground for sickness and disease. sure lemons are an acidic fruit, but when taken internally, they turn alkaline to balance your body's PH levels.
- Lemons kill intestinal worms - Oh boy, parasites! They invade our bodies and feed on our nutrients. But worry no more, the yellow bomb has come to the rescue. Lemon seeds destroy those bastards quick, just crush a few lemon seeds into a paste and wash it down with some water everyday. This remedy will remove their activity from the stomach. May not taste the best but you'll be parasite free. If you cringe at the thought of eating lemon seeds, then try these freeze-dried whole lemon supplements, it's easier to treat parasites when you eat the whole lemon.
- Lemons treat eye disorders - If you've ever had an eye infection, you know how annoying and painful it can be. Lemons are great for cleansing the eye of bacteria with a little lemon wash. Take a cotton ball dipped in warm lemon water and wash your eye everyday, or use a compress soaked in lemon water and leave on the infected eye for 20-30 minutes while lying down. It's inexpensive and it works!
- Lemons are a great source of potassium - Potassium is essential for nourishing the entire body especially the nerves and the brain, drink your lemon water a day and you'll be accomplishing this in a very easy way.
- Lemons have antibacterial effects on the skin - Acne, psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, etc., whatever skin issue you're dealing with, know this: Lemons can treat and heal from the inside out. Having antibacterial benefits means that lemons will remove the toxins from the body which lead to all kinds of issues, including the ones with your skin. The more lemon water you drink everyday, the more toxins you'll be removing and the clearer your skin will start to look. Try it!
- Lemons + citric acid = dissolving agent - The natural occurrence of citric acid found in lemons helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
- Lemons contain vitamin P - Vitamin P (bioflavonoids) found under the peel of lemons is great for treating high blood pressure. Blood vessels are made stronger thus preventing hemorrhaging.
And the lemon goodness continues with this raw lemon cheesecake bar recipe....
|Photo & Recipe Credit: Amy @ simplysugarandglutenfree.com|
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 large medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger root powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest from one lemon
- pinch of salt
For the crust:
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Put the pecans and walnuts in the food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse several times to break up the nuts. Add the medjool dates, coconut oil, ground ginger root, and pinch of salt.
- Process until the mixture begins to come together as a dough.
- Press the nut mixture evenly into the bottom of the lined pan. Set aside.
- Put the cashews, dairy-free milk, lemon juice, coconut butter, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, lemon zest, and pinch of salt into a high-powered blender. Start on low, gradually increase to high and process until completely smooth.
- Scrape the mixture on top of the crust and smooth the top. Cover and place in the freezer for 4 - 6 hours, or overnight.
- Let sit at room temperature for 15 - 20 minutes before cutting and serving.