Thursday, February 27, 2014

Blueberry Seed + Nut Breakfast w/Raw Coconut Yogurt


Now this is the breakfast of champions.  A crazy delicious breakfast bowl of deep colored blueberries, vitamin and omega-rich seeds and nuts teamed up with raw coconut yogurt.  If I could reach through my computer and give you a spoonful, I would. 

Since my day usually starts early, I already have my protein smoothie made the night before, all I have to do is grab it out of the fridge and head out the door.  But on certain mornings I very much enjoy a nice hearty breakfast like this one.  Something that sustains me until lunch, boosts my energy and even elevates my mood.  Truth is, whatever you decide to eat for breakfast, determines how the rest of the your day will end up.  Eat smart and you'll feel great for hours!

The first time I attempted this recipe, I made quite a pretty mess from the young Thai coconut that I bought from the Asian market.  I love the meat and water inside, it's so unbelievably fresh and juicy but cracking that baby open was one tricky and wet experience.  Now I opt for an easier way; the freezer section of my gourmet food market, or whole foods, they have a nice frozen, raw, unpasteurized bag of coconut meat that works just the same. 


Just thaw the bag out and begin to use.  You can make this recipe adding in the powdered probiotics or leave it out, the choice is yours.  Just be mindful that you do have to let the coconut yogurt mixture sit overnight as to let the probiotics begin to culture.   The longer it sits, the more yogurt-like it becomes. 

Ingredients:
  • 16 ounces (1 bag) raw young Thai coconut meat
  • 3/4 to 1 cup coconut water (add a little to start and more depending on how thin or thick you want it)
  • Probiotic Powder
  • 1 vanilla bean, scrapped 
  • 2 pinches of white stevia powder

Instructions:
  • Pour the contents of the 16 ounce bag of coconut meat into a high-speed blender along with the 3/4 cups coconut water.  Add more coconut water if desired.  Blend together until smooth.  
  • Then add the probiotic powder, scrapped vanilla bean and white stevia powder into blender and blend again, just briefly to incorporate the rest of the ingredients.
  • Pour coconut yogurt into a large mason jar, allowing enough room for it to expand (due to the probiotic powder, it will enlarge).  Place lid on top and set your coconut yogurt to culture in a warm area overnight.  
  • Take out when ready and transfer to refrigerator for 1-2 hours so it can chill then take out and add 1 cup blueberries, handful of sunflower seeds, 1 teaspoon flaxseeds and hazelnuts, or any fruit and seed/nut variety you want.  Enjoy! 

There you have it!  Organic, Raw Coconut Yogurt.  A wonderful step up from dairy yogurt and very, very gut-friendly!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your love....